Finally, you got this far, now the fun part can commence. Adding a product is much like adding a post, but with some added features.
Check our video for a walk-through, or see below for the written manual
A big time saver is the Copy function, if you already have a listing set up with similar shipping profiles, categories, tags etcetera you can copy this to a new one, and just edit the few things that are different.
You’ll find the Cope to new draft on top of the right on any live product in edit mode.
To list a product from scratch:
- To start adding a product go to +New-Product, or hover over the Products in the left bar. Mind that you can also duplicate an existing product, just click on Products then to see and select an appropritae product.
- Product title. Recommended is to keep this simple and recognizable, without too many words, as the full title will be displayed under the product photos in the shop.
- As with the pages and posts there is the text mark-up buttons available for you to highlight text or add links. Adding photos is also possible with the Media button, but the product photos and thumbnails are set below right, at 100 & 11.
- Mind that you have the visual view and text view, if you see funny code it means you are in text mode most likely (or your cat walked over the keyboard again..)
- As with posts and pages you can set the visibility of the product, save as draft, or schedule to publish automatically on a later date.
- Do not forget to publish your post once done with all settings…
- Select the categories your product belongs to. Categories have been pre-set, and you can select multiple categories, e.g. in case of a wedding ring Select the main category Jewellery, Then ring under that, and under presents you can select Wedding.
You CAN add new categories yourself, but we are using the existing categories for all shops, and to search, display and promote the products on our main Handmade In Europe platform and social platforms, so in case you make your own category this will NOT be used.You can ask us to add the Category for all shops, just contact us in case you think a category is missing very badly, and would like to add one, and we’ll consider your request.
- Product data fields. Note the different tabs on the left. Price, inventory and shipping are the important parts.
You can also set attributes (like different colour options) here.
These options are explained further below this paragraph.
- Tag your products. Very good for the search and Google. Separate tags with commas.
- Product gallery images are used as thumbnails next to the main product. Recommended is to not add more than 3 for the best display.
- Featured image will be used if people see your full shop, and will be the main photo for your product.
- Note that there are 2 blocks for the descriptions of the product.
The main one above is meant for the full description, and in most cases will be displayed below the product photos.
The one here is meant for a short description, and is ended by the ‘Add to basket’ button. Recommended is to keep this short, just a few lines to capture people’s attention.
Setting product data:
Product data is the specific info like price, shipping, inventory andsoforth.
You can go from tab to tab and fill in the data without having to save the full product.
- If it is a simple product, i.e. unique, or all the same leave this on default. If a downloadable or virtual product check respective boxes. If you offer different sizes or colours or such you can select Variable product to get more options, which are explained below this paragraph.
- SKU is your unique identifier if you use these.
- Your product price.
- Sales price (optional). If you set this a little Sale icon will appear over the main product photo. You have to set a regular price for this feature to work, which will then appear with a strike-through.
- You can schedule sales, if you click on the schedule link you can pick a start date and end date. End date is optional, if not set it will stay on sale indefinitely.
- Please do check tab by tab for other data options:
Inventory: Here you can manage your stock for this item. You have to specifically enable this to see all options.
You can set the amount of items you have in stock, which will display with your product, or set the product to be out of stock, but still allow backorders in case you can make more.
Shipping: Here you attach your shipping class for this product. You can also specify dimensions and weight, this info is displayed in the ‘additional info’ tab with your product
There are shipping classes which work with weight and dimension properties to calculate shipping, but these are (not yet) supported.
Linked products: Here you can set and recommend products which you’d like to point out specifically to the customer.
By default customers see additional items from your shop when viewing a product, based on tags and text, but these might not always be very logical choices for you.
There is 3 options to set up items to be linked, either they show on the same place as the product (cross sells), or at the check-out (up sells), or as a group (groupes items) where every item will be available separately, but you can buy all at the same time too.
I have set up examples on our, and explain these on the BLOG.
Attributes: If you offer different sizes or colours or such you can add these options here, please see explained below this paragraph.
Advanced: You can add a specific note here instead the default when customers buy this product, and enable or disable reviews on this product.
Done? Hit Publish!